Monday, October 9, 2017

The next book in the Make It Learnable series?

I told myself I'd take some time off after completing Practice and Feedback for Deeper Learning. And I am. Sort of. I'm getting other work done and spending time gathering research on two topics for upcoming books:

  • What we as L&D practitioners and organizations as a whole must do to support learning and skill building in our organizations
  • The tactics that work best for training people in hard(er) skills
Research shows that if we train but don't do what's needed to support learning and skill development, far less learning and skill development occurs. I think many practitioners and especially organizations are confused about this. It's about aligning the myriad things that must be in place. 

For example, if we train people to take initiative with handling customer problems to make sure that customer problems get handled quickly but managers give staff a hard time if they handle a problem that technically belongs to another department, what was trained will fail. Mirjam Neelen and I are working out what to include in the book and are likely to write this one together as it's of interest to us both.

Research also shows that many job skills are becoming more challenging and less stable. Easy(er) and more repetitive work is being taken over my computers and in many cases, AI. But training more complex work like repetitive work doesn't work. What does? And how do we help people learn these types of jobs and tasks in an environment when these skills are changeable? Research has some very good answers, which I think is terrific news.

I also get requests for training on good multiple choice question development and plan to write a book on this topic. Tell me what you think of these topics. I write for readers and most certainly want to write what you need to learn about. Thank you so much for reading my books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

How many answer choices is best for a multiple-choice question? Probably not what you think.

Last week I discussed a quiz I developed   to help people analyze what they know and don't know about developing valuable and valid mult...